WebCore 146

Trey Matteson trey at usa.net
Wed Jul 7 01:07:55 CEST 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 3:38 PM, Dave Hyatt wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2004, at 9:57 AM, Zack Rusin wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason why you decided against sending the incremental
>> patches (around middle December if my memory serves) ?
>>

> Incremental patches for large features like HTML editing would have
> been fairly pointless.  I'd argue that even merging it now in its
> current state would be of little benefit.
>
>> Even the ChangeLog isn't helpful anymore, because it simply lacks
>> motiviation for most of the changes (you know yourself that without
>> testcases, rdar://123456 references are hardly of any value). We're
>> assuming that the <canvas> addition is for dashboard but again, we
>> just
>> don't know.
>>

> <canvas> is for Dashboard yes.
>
>> Is there any way we'd get at least explanation of your motiviation for
>> implementing some of the major features in 146?
>>

> Breaks down primarily into:
> (1) Performance (style system improvements and atomization of
> attribute values).  We're about 30% faster.
> (2) HTML Editing (in the new subdir plus changes to line layout to
> make it smarter about only repainting changed lines)
> (3) Dashboard Support (new widgets input type=search, range and canvas
> and composite attr on image)

Also for Dashboard we now support the (somewhat ugly) drag and drop
DHTML-level API from WinIE.  The guts of it is OS X specific, as we
bridge to the system's drag and drop mechanism, but the framework for
the feature that lies outside of KWQ should be reusable.  Doc is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/datatransfer/overview.asp.