Overlay icons in Dolphin and Konqueror

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 6 21:58:13 BST 2014

Hi Olivier,

first of all, thanks for your efforts to improve the user experience
for KDE users who use ownCloud!

> Hi,
>
> I am working with the ownCloud sync client. One of the feature we would like
> to have is to display overlay icons in the file managers. The icons should
> display the synchronization state, and more importantly the fact that folders
> are shared.
>
> As far as I could see, there is no interface in Konqueror or Dolphin to show
> arbitrary overlay icon.
> I am aware of KVersionControlPlugin (and we already have such a plugin), but
> it's interface is too limited, as only some possibilities are available, but
> we would like to display any kind of icons.
>
> I am then going to implement such interface.
> Where should it go?
> in a new KFileOverlayIconPlugin class?
> Should id go in kio (next KAbstractFileItemActionPlugin)?
> Or should it go in lib/konq next to KVersionControlPlugin?

I guess it depends on whether the new functionality should also be
available to applications which do not use lib/konq (like, e.g., the
file dialog). Some classes have been moved from lib/konq to kio in the
past by David AFAIK, so it would be interesting to know what he thinks
about this issue.

Regards,
Frank