Overlay icons in Dolphin and Konqueror

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Fri Jul 4 09:51:16 BST 2014

Hi,

I am working with the ownCloud sync client. One of the feature we would like
to have is to display overlay icons in the file managers. The icons should
display the synchronization state, and more importantly the fact that folders
are shared.

As far as I could see, there is no interface in Konqueror or Dolphin to show
arbitrary overlay icon.
I am aware of KVersionControlPlugin (and we already have such a plugin), but
it's interface is too limited, as only some possibilities are available, but
we would like to display any kind of icons.

I am then going to implement such interface.
Where should it go?
in a new KFileOverlayIconPlugin class?
Should id go in kio (next KAbstractFileItemActionPlugin)?
Or should it go in lib/konq next to KVersionControlPlugin?

For the implementation, I believe I can base myself on the
KVersionControlPlugin but returning an QIcon instead of state.

Please reply to all, I am not subscribed.

Regards,
--
Olivier