4 usability bugs in Dolphin: documented with screenshots

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 16 09:03:11 GMT 2013

Hi Gérard,

thanks for your message.

2013/3/16 "Gérard Talbot":
> Dear Dolphin developers,
>
> Sorry for not reporting these bugs so far.
>
> Since about 3-4 weeks, whenever I work with Dolphin and encounter what I
> sincerly believe are usability bugs or bad translation or inoperability
> issues, I quickly took a screenshot. I did not have time to file bug
> reports; please believe me, I am a very busy man.

please believe me, I am a very busy man too. Reporting many different
issues (most of which have *nothing* to do with Dolphin development)
in a single message to the mailing list, rather than in bug reports
which are filed for the right products, does not exactly make my life
easier. But nonetheless, I will try to answer.

> First attached .png screenshot image:
> KDE-delete-instead-of-remove-USB-tooltip.png , 854px by 472px , 100 KBytes
>
> In french, we can clearly read the following in the tooltip:
> "Cliquez pour supprimer ce périphérique en toute sécurité"
> which you can translate (in English) as
> "Click to safely delete the device."
> !!
>
> The correct translation should have been saying instead something like
> "Click to safely remove the device."
> or
> "Click to safely remove the removable device."
> or (even best)
> "Click to safely remove the USB device."
> or even
> "Cliquez pour retirer cette clé USB en toute sécurité."

Please report translations issues as bug reports for the product "i18n".

> One of the most annoying thing about this tooltip is that it pops up and
> only last 5-6 seconds!! And it overlaps another pop up!

If I'm not completely mistaken, this tool tip comes from Plasma's
device notifier -> not a Dolphin issue.

> There is another usability issue with that screenshot. Iconography,
> logography, pictography, ideography everywhere nowadays. What does a black
> triangle with a short horizontal black line inside a white-ish round area
> means? In the asbolute, nothing. In the relativity, not much or hard to
> say for non-initiated people.

Already answered by Todd (thanks!).

> Operating systems, websites and browsers now over-use, mis-use,
> over-excessively use icons, logos of all sorts, pictograms/ideographs
> everywhere, all the time. Often, their presence do not help the users.
>
> A normal user would have first to hover his mouse cursor over that black
> triangle with a short horizontal black line inside a white-ish round area,
> then be able to read all the text (8 words) in less than 4-6 seconds.
>
> If I had right-clicked in "Places" sidebar the USB key, then the first
> item message (still identified with such black triangle with a short
> horizontal black line inside a white-ish round area) would say something
> totally different, radically different:
>
> Second attached .png screenshot image:
> KDE-free-or-unmount-USB-tooltip.png , 639px by 196px, 14KBytes
>
> "Libérer «Media amovible de 3.7 Go» en toute sécurité"
> which could be translated as
> "Safely free (or unmount) removable media device of 3.7 Gb"
>
> I still think this is bad translation in French. It should be saying in
> French:
>
> "Retirer «Media amovible de 3.7 Go» en toute sécurité"
> and not "Libérer".

See above: -> i18n bug.

> Diagnostic:
> 1- inconsistent messages
> 2- wrong, erroneous message
> 3- rather poor translation
> 4- Tooltip should not be time-dependent but rather
> mouse-cursor-hovering-dependent
> These 4 issues can be corrected, improved.

Then please report them to the right people.

Best regards,
Frank