[Dolphin] Dolphin.KDE.org website upgrade (HTML5)

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 12 20:54:05 GMT 2012

Hi Rishabh,

sorry for the late reply!

2012/11/10 Rishabh Rao:
OK, but one could also just forward those users to userbase.kde.org.

> Moreover, on  Dolphin.KDE.org, we can have blogs (Dolphin & community blogs),

Well, we have Planet KDE already, and at the moment, I'm not aware of
many blogs which are about Dolphin ;-) I mean, I would really
appreciate it greatly if more people blogged about their work on
Dolphin, but those blogs would then also be added to Planet KDE. I
don't know if there really is a target audience that would read a
"Planet Dolphin" but not "Planet KDE".

> video (like "Get to know Dolphin"),
> newsletters,

What kind of newsletter do you have in mind?

> download links

Hm, most users probably just get Dolphin by their distro's package
manager. OK, there are Windows and Mac versions which can be
downloaded, but the available versions are rather outdated, and they
are basically unsupported by us. I'm not aware of any Dolphin
developer who would even be able to verify if a Windows-specific bug
exists, let alone fix it. I wouldn't really feel comfortable
advertising such packages on our web site.

> We can always add say, Google Analytics, onto the Dolphin.KDE.org website
> and see how much traffic it gets.

I guess we could also ask our sysadmins ;-)

> I understand your concern with long term maintenance of the website. But the
> technologies that I mentioned:
> * HTML5 Boilerplate - it's just standard HTML5 which gives pre-written HTML
> tags for writing standards-complaint HTML.
> * Twitter Bootstrap - it's already being used at Forum.KDE.org.
> * OpenGraph - it's some additional attributes that we optionally add onto
> the already existing HTML tags.
> We'll be sticking to standard web technologies, these are actually the same
> familiar web technologies, nothing fancy. Most of the code will be
> client-side with server-side requirements for dynamically loading news,
> blogs etc. By looking at the News section, I believe that the content there
> is dynamically generated. So that's sufficient.

I just checked - the news are just hard-coded HTML, as is the rest of
dolphin.kde.org:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/sites/dolphin/

I see that loading content dynamically may look nice, but I'm just not
convinced that we have enough content which is worth loading
dynamically...

Best regards,
Frank