[Dolphin] Dolphin.KDE.org website upgrade (HTML5)

Rishabh Rao rishabhsrao at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 18:35:57 GMT 2012

> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Frank Reininghaus <
> frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Rishabh,
> >
> > 2012/11/9 Rishabh Rao:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The Git SCM website (http://git-scm.com) recently got an upgrade from
> >> its old site (
> http://web.archive.org/web/20080828032836/http://git-scm.com).
> >> The new website's source is on Github
> >> (https://github.com/github/gitscm-next).
> >>
> >> How about having a similar upgrade to the Dolphin website
> >> (http://dolphin.kde.org)?
> >>
> >> Maybe we can use the following technologies...
> >>
> >> * HTML5 Boilerplate (http://html5boilerplate.com)
> >> * Twitter Bootstrap (http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap - it's being
> >> used on Forum.KDE.org (http://forum.kde.org))
> >> * Yeoman.io (http://yeoman.io)
> >> * Schema.org (http://schema.org) and OpenGraph (http://ogp.me) for
> >> better SEO and social-network experience
> >> * (etc.)
> >>
> >> ... and build a nice responsive website
> >> (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design).
> >>
> >> I am a front-end developer and willing to contribute to this effort.
> >> So in this regard, I request you to please provide your feedback &
> >> suggestions and guide me in the right direction. Thank you.
> >
> > thanks for your message and your offer to help!
> >
> > First of all, I'm rather unfamiliar with anything related to web
> > development, and I almost forgot that Dolphin has a website until I
> > got your message. I looked at it now and took some time to think about
> > its purpose, and it's not entirely clear to me. There certainly is
> > some duplication with
> >
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Dolphin
> >
> > (except for the historical information about early Dolphin releases in
> > the 'News' section).
> >
> > Therefore, I'm actually wondering if dolphin.kde.org is read a lot and
> > if it is needed at all. Do you have any ideas what useful information
> > could be put there that we could not provide on Userbase instead,
> > where everyone can easiliy contribute? Moreover, you see that the
> > structure of the dolphin.kde.org website probably hasn't changed much
> > since 2006. You are offering to help with a redesign now, which is
> > great, but how can we guarantee that the maintenance of a new website
> > with technologies that we are not familiar with can be assured for the
> > next 6 years or so?
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate your willingness to work on
> > the HTML-related parts of the website, but in the end, the content
> > probably has to come from the Dolphin developers (all working on it in
> > their rather limited free time), and any fancy web-technology stuff
> > will probably require some action on the sysadmin side, and I see the
> > problem how to assure the long-term maintenance. So I would like to
> > see that a newly designed dolphin.kde.org website could bring a real
> > benefit to users before we invest much effort into it.
> >
> > But maybe others have different opinions - just let us know!

> [...]

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I too went through the http://userbase.kde.org/Dolphin page and found
duplication. But I feel Dolphin.KDE.org can be a starting point for, say
users searching for say, "dolphin kde", on search engines. Moreover, on
Dolphin.KDE.org, we can have blogs (Dolphin & community blogs), video (like
"Get to know Dolphin"), newsletters, download links and much more. Amarok
has a similar concept at http://amarok.kde.org/. Apart from that, let us
retain the content but enhance the looks.

We can always add say, Google Analytics, onto the Dolphin.KDE.org website
and see how much traffic it gets.

I understand your concern with long term maintenance of the website. But
the technologies that I mentioned:
* HTML5 Boilerplate - it's just standard HTML5 which gives pre-written HTML
tags for writing standards-complaint HTML.
* Twitter Bootstrap - it's already being used at Forum.KDE.org.
* OpenGraph - it's some additional attributes that we optionally add onto
the already existing HTML tags.
We'll be sticking to standard web technologies, these are actually the same
familiar web technologies, nothing fancy. Most of the code will be
client-side with server-side requirements for dynamically loading news,
blogs etc. By looking at the News section, I believe that the content there
is dynamically generated. So that's sufficient.

Please let me give it a try. I'll develop a sample using the same textual &
graphical content from http://dolphin.kde.org and share it here once I'm
done. Suggestions will be most welcome. We all can together discuss,
iterate and improve over it.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Rishabh