[Dolphin] Dolphin.KDE.org website upgrade (HTML5)

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 9 14:10:43 GMT 2012

Hi Rishabh,

2012/11/9 Rishabh Rao:
> Hi,
>
> The Git SCM website (http://git-scm.com) recently got an upgrade from
> its old site (http://web.archive.org/web/20080828032836/http://git-scm.com).
> The new website's source is on Github
> (https://github.com/github/gitscm-next).
>
> How about having a similar upgrade to the Dolphin website
> (http://dolphin.kde.org)?
>
> Maybe we can use the following technologies...
>
> * HTML5 Boilerplate (http://html5boilerplate.com)
> * Twitter Bootstrap (http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap - it's being
> used on Forum.KDE.org (http://forum.kde.org))
> * Yeoman.io (http://yeoman.io)
> * Schema.org (http://schema.org) and OpenGraph (http://ogp.me) for
> better SEO and social-network experience
> * (etc.)
>
> ... and build a nice responsive website
> (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design).
>
> I am a front-end developer and willing to contribute to this effort.
> So in this regard, I request you to please provide your feedback &
> suggestions and guide me in the right direction. Thank you.

thanks for your message and your offer to help!

First of all, I'm rather unfamiliar with anything related to web
development, and I almost forgot that Dolphin has a website until I
got your message. I looked at it now and took some time to think about
its purpose, and it's not entirely clear to me. There certainly is
some duplication with

http://userbase.kde.org/Dolphin

(except for the historical information about early Dolphin releases in
the 'News' section).

Therefore, I'm actually wondering if dolphin.kde.org is read a lot and
if it is needed at all. Do you have any ideas what useful information
could be put there that we could not provide on Userbase instead,
where everyone can easiliy contribute? Moreover, you see that the
structure of the dolphin.kde.org website probably hasn't changed much
since 2006. You are offering to help with a redesign now, which is
great, but how can we guarantee that the maintenance of a new website
with technologies that we are not familiar with can be assured for the
next 6 years or so?

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate your willingness to work on
the HTML-related parts of the website, but in the end, the content
probably has to come from the Dolphin developers (all working on it in
their rather limited free time), and any fancy web-technology stuff
will probably require some action on the sysadmin side, and I see the
problem how to assure the long-term maintenance. So I would like to
see that a newly designed dolphin.kde.org website could bring a real
benefit to users before we invest much effort into it.

But maybe others have different opinions - just let us know!

Best regards,
Frank