bookmark search in sidebar

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 13:39:20 GMT 2012

On Monday 12 March 2012 12:16:59 Rigo Wenning wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> don't know whether this is a bug or feature:
>
> In the konqueror sidebar, one can open the bookmarks and search. This is
> very handy as it acts like a filter to all bookmarks.
>
> Unfortunately, all the folders remain folded. So the filter is correct, but
> in order to be able to click on the bookmark, one has to unfold all the
> folders and subfolders that contain a matching item.
>
> I have many bookmarks and for some historic reason, my personal toolbar
> folder is on the third level with sub-levels. So I have to click a lot to
> get to the bookmark.
>
> expected behavior: Show an unfolded list of bookmarks that match the filter.
> Opera behaves this way with the same sidebar.
>
> Bug-report or not? KDE 4.7.4 on OpenSuse 12.1

Yes (usability bugs are bugs), but I'm not aware of anyone working on this
code at this point.

(Blame me, it's mostly my old code)

The search lineedit is a K3ListViewSearchLineWidget, actually. That's not my
code, it's code from 2005 by Rafal Rzepecki... I see no code to open folders
in there, indeed; might have been written for kmail where folders are rather
open by default. In fact I thought bookmarks remembered (in the XML) whether
they were open or closed?  (that was in keditbookmarks, but the same code is
used in the sidebar)

The first step would be to port these sidebar modules to more modern APIs than
that kde3support stuff. But OTOH the bigger plans for konqueror (which haven't
moved forward for lack of developers) where to put these things in the main
widget (a bit like rekonq) rather than in a side bar...