bookmark search in sidebar

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 14:15:36 GMT 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 12 March 2012 12:16:59 Rigo Wenning wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> don't know whether this is a bug or feature:
>>
>> In the konqueror sidebar, one can open the bookmarks and search. This is
>> very handy as it acts like a filter to all bookmarks.
>>
>> Unfortunately, all the folders remain folded. So the filter is correct, but
>> in order to be able to click on the bookmark, one has to unfold all the
>> folders and subfolders that contain a matching item.
>>
>> I have many bookmarks and for some historic reason, my personal toolbar
>> folder is on the third level with sub-levels. So I have to click a lot to
>> get to the bookmark.
>>
>> expected behavior: Show an unfolded list of bookmarks that match the filter.
>> Opera behaves this way with the same sidebar.
>>
>> Bug-report or not? KDE 4.7.4 on OpenSuse 12.1
>
> Yes (usability bugs are bugs), but I'm not aware of anyone working on this
> code at this point.
>
> (Blame me, it's mostly my old code)
>
> The search lineedit is a K3ListViewSearchLineWidget, actually. That's not my
> code, it's code from 2005 by Rafal Rzepecki... I see no code to open folders
> in there, indeed; might have been written for kmail where folders are rather
> open by default. In fact I thought bookmarks remembered (in the XML) whether
> they were open or closed?  (that was in keditbookmarks, but the same code is
> used in the sidebar)
>
> The first step would be to port these sidebar modules to more modern APIs than
> that kde3support stuff.

At some point I was going port that stuff off of kde3support, but I
saw a warning that you put that says do not port to QTreeWidget. I am
one of those people that still cannot completely get my head around
Qt's model/view implementation to this day, even though I have used it
several times before and I remember that discouraging me from porting
that code.

> But OTOH the bigger plans for konqueror (which haven't
> moved forward for lack of developers) where to put these things in the main
> widget (a bit like rekonq) rather than in a side bar...

That is a good idea for several of the sidebar modules, but not
everything. I do not think it makes sense to implement the tree based
sidebar modules such as the directory lister, and the places module
using reKonq's approach. Perhaps Dolphin's idea of "Panels" makes more
sense for those two cases ?