Annoying keyboard remapping

Rigo Wenning rigo at w3.org
Wed Oct 20 11:24:23 BST 2010

On Wednesday 20 October 2010 02:08:14 David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 October 2010, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> > from KDE-PIM going crazy because of Akonadi.
>
> Huh... you're not supposed to use kdepim 4.5 or trunk, but rather kdepim
> 4.4 (even with everything else from KDE SC being from 4.5). kdepim-4.4
> doesn't use akonadi much (only for the addressbook), and is the current
> stable version of kdepim.

I tried 4.4. with opensuse 11.3. Frankly, 4.5.2 works better. I had so much
trouble with 4.4 that I tried to move on. But 4.5 is still ages away from 4.3,
let alone 3.5. Akonadi+Nepomuk add a lot of burden without adding any tangible
benefit for end users so far.. I opened a bug because kaddressbook regressed
to an almost unusable state etc.. KMail has a lag, even on my 3Ghz machine
with 2GB RAM (I started with linux+KDE 1.1 on a Pentium 133 32MB ram and I
don't remember this feeling slower)

I have a certain weird setup as I ssh from my desktop into my laptop and start
X applications there. This avoids me to synchronize but still benefit from a
large screen (twinview). I have given up for the moment with current KDE.

But this setup is very revealing of overhead. While in KDE 3.5 I had instant
reactions of the X programs on the remote host over 100Mbit/s link, today,
there is even a lag when typing. This would be generally a good test for KDE
to determine alignment with the X communication system that makes the unix
platform so much nicer than other platforms when wired. I see more and more
the tendency of KDE to only focus on desktop. But look at the nokia N900. Can
I use KDE on this? I should be able to. And I should be able to access my apps
on the N900 via ssh + exported X from my desktop. So "lean and mean and fast"
still remains a goal! And this may mean looking into how the X-Window system
did things, as it was very fast.

> > Will konqueror display now the cervisia icon if it detects that it is
> > currently within a CVS tree or display the SVN icon if it is in an SVN
> > tree?
>
> I didn't change the way the icon works, I only made it possible to assign a
> shortcut to the action "switch to cervisia", so that you can do that much
> faster.

OK, this is good enough for me. Let's see when it will be available.

> But the thing about being in a SVN tree is actually much better handled
> automatically now: you don't need the cervisia part anymore.
> In its default icon mode, konqueror (thanks to the dolphin code) shows a
> little square on the corner of each icon which is in svn/git, and actions
> such as update, commit, etc. are provided in the context menu.
> This is available in KDE SC >= 4.5, you might have to check the checkboxes
> [ ] Git   [ ] Subversion
> at the bottom of Configure Konqueror / File Management / Services, to
> enable the feature. This is better integrated than cervisiapart, since
> there's no need to switch to a different mode, and it's better maintained
> too, since the dolphin maintainer is actively taking care of it.
> You just have to install kdesdk/dolphin-plugins.
>
> If you use CVS you might be missing the support for it though, but it
> sounds like something that could be added in that framework.

This is actually a very nice integration. This is even better than 3.5. There
is light on the horizon. KDE 4 could be really nice :)

Keep up the good work!

Rigo