Annoying keyboard remapping

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Oct 21 21:21:17 BST 2010

On Wednesday 20 October 2010, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 October 2010 02:08:14 David Faure wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 October 2010, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> > > from KDE-PIM going crazy because of Akonadi.
> >
> > Huh... you're not supposed to use kdepim 4.5 or trunk, but rather kdepim
> > 4.4 (even with everything else from KDE SC being from 4.5). kdepim-4.4
> > doesn't use akonadi much (only for the addressbook), and is the current
> > stable version of kdepim.
>
> I tried 4.4. with opensuse 11.3. Frankly, 4.5.2 works better. I had so much
> trouble with 4.4 that I tried to move on.

I don't think you understood :-)
Yes KDE SC 4.5 is better than KDE SC 4.4.
I'm just saying there's a special case with kdepim: there is no kdepim-4.5, so
you're using kdepim-4.4, even in a KDE SC 4.5 environment.
Anyway, this isn't the list for discussing kdepim issues.

> But this setup is very revealing of overhead. While in KDE 3.5 I had
> instant reactions of the X programs on the remote host over 100Mbit/s
> link, today, there is even a lag when typing. This would be generally a
> good test for KDE to determine alignment with the X communication system
> that makes the unix platform so much nicer than other platforms when
> wired.

Yes; but this is mostly in Qt's hands, actually, and indeed the tendency there
is not to optimize for remote X; we regularly hear plans like "making the
raster graphics engine default in the next Qt version". But this isn't my area
of expertise, better discuss this on kde-devel with people who know more about
it.

> I see more and more the tendency of KDE to only focus on desktop.

I don't think that's true. We focused on the desktop only initially, the
horizon is being expanded now.

> But look at the nokia N900. Can I use KDE on this? I should be able to.

Yes, we (i.e. some KDE developers) are working on that.

> And I should be able to access my apps on the N900 via ssh + exported X
> from my desktop.

I don't think so. It's never going to fit, on such a small display. The GUI has
to be redesigned, to fit properly on a N900; see the kdepim-mobile project for
instance. Most kde dialogs are just waaay too big (width and height) for the
small n900 screen. This has nothing to do with resource consumption, just
sheer number of pixels doesn't cut it.

> > I didn't change the way the icon works, I only made it possible to assign
> > a shortcut to the action "switch to cervisia", so that you can do that
> > much faster.
>
> OK, this is good enough for me. Let's see when it will be available.

Today, if you apply the patch to your kdelibs :-)

> > But the thing about being in a SVN tree is actually much better handled
> > automatically now: you don't need the cervisia part anymore.
> > In its default icon mode, konqueror (thanks to the dolphin code) shows a
> > little square on the corner of each icon which is in svn/git, and actions
> > such as update, commit, etc. are provided in the context menu.
> > This is available in KDE SC >= 4.5, you might have to check the
> > checkboxes [ ] Git   [ ] Subversion
> > at the bottom of Configure Konqueror / File Management / Services, to
> > enable the feature. This is better integrated than cervisiapart, since
> > there's no need to switch to a different mode, and it's better maintained
> > too, since the dolphin maintainer is actively taking care of it.
> > You just have to install kdesdk/dolphin-plugins.
>
> This is actually a very nice integration. This is even better than 3.5.
> There is light on the horizon. KDE 4 could be really nice :)

Glad to hear that :)