Dolphin change proposals

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Fri Jan 29 22:44:10 GMT 2010

Hi Todd,

On Friday 29 January 2010 21:45:38 todd rme wrote:
> I am having a bit of trouble with the group selection.  So far I have
> gotten most things to work.  However, there is one issue I can't
> figure out.  Whenever I click the header of the group (the category
> drawer as it is called), it immediately deselects all the the
> previously-selected items.  If I ctrl+click, it doesn't.  I can't
> figure out what function is triggering the deselection, though.  I
> thought it would be in mousepressevent, but I put a kdebug check at
> the beginning of the function and it is reporting that the items are
> already deselected by the time mousepressevent is being called.  I
> tried putting tests at the beginning and end of various functions to
> see if the selection status changes over the course of the function,
> but none of the ones I tried seem to work.

Did you test KCategorizedView encapsulated in a custom application or did you
use Dolphin? If you used Dolphin: The DolphinIconsView is derived from
KCategorizedView and clears the selection in
DolphinIconsView::mousePressEvent() if no valid index has been reached by the
mouse press event. The reason for the clearing is, that (at least this was the
case with Qt 4.4...) when clicking on the viewport below the last visible row,
no clearing of the selection had been done. Maybe this has been solved already
in Qt and the code can be removed...

> I can put something in
> paintevent to store the values, but this would require either saving a
> list of selected items or doing a comparison between the currently
> selected items and a second list any time you even move the mouse over
> a file, which doesn't seem to be a good approach.

Doing something different than painting when receiving the paint event, cries
for problems... Please don't do it :-)