Dolphin change proposals

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:45:38 GMT 2010

I am having a bit of trouble with the group selection.  So far I have
gotten most things to work.  However, there is one issue I can't
figure out.  Whenever I click the header of the group (the category
drawer as it is called), it immediately deselects all the the
previously-selected items.  If I ctrl+click, it doesn't.  I can't
figure out what function is triggering the deselection, though.  I
thought it would be in mousepressevent, but I put a kdebug check at
the beginning of the function and it is reporting that the items are
already deselected by the time mousepressevent is being called.  I
tried putting tests at the beginning and end of various functions to
see if the selection status changes over the course of the function,
but none of the ones I tried seem to work.  I can put something in
paintevent to store the values, but this would require either saving a
list of selected items or doing a comparison between the currently
selected items and a second list any time you even move the mouse over
a file, which doesn't seem to be a good approach.  Does anyone have
any idea where this deselection is being trigger so I can circumvent
it?  Alternatively, a way to only trigger the change on paintevent
when someone changes the selection status of a file would work as
well.

While I am on the subject, I plan to make a copy of the list of
selected items before the deselection occurs and then restoring that
list if the user ends up clicking on a category drawer.  I know this
is an ineffecient approach, but the only alternative I have been able
to come up with is to not allow people to start a rubber band
rectangle inside a category drawer, and that seems even worse
(although I could do it if people really think it is important).  Both
approaches, however require that I figure out what is triggering the
deselection.