Rename in-line vs. rename pop-up

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Wed Jan 20 09:59:52 GMT 2010

Hello Marcus,

On Thursday 14 January 2010 13:48:11 Marcus Harrison wrote:
> Something I noticed while using Dolphin on a newly-installed
>  plasma-netbook- driven netbook - the default for renaming is a pop-up
>  window. Problem is, this window is made full-screen under plasma-netbook.

I was not aware about this...

> I think that, ideally, renaming in-line should be the default - but while
> we're discussing it, is there any reason (beyond simultaneously renaming
> multiple files) to keep the pop-up? Would it be all that damaging to get
>  rid of the pop-up for individual files, remove that option and just use
>  rename in- line?

Using the popup was intended, as I watched people (that I'd see as target user
group of Dolphin [1]) having problems with inline renaming:

- Renaming very long file names in the icons view is tricky because of the
vertical scrolling and the clipped text. I watched people trying to change the
cursor position, but they accidentally clicked outside the renaming border and
finalized the renaming.

- they don't know how to finalize the renaming (it's not obvious that pressing
Return is required)

- they don't know how to cancel the renaming

But this was no kind of usability study and maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are
also ways to improve the inline renaming (e. g. extending the width for the
icons view or providing OK-/Cancel buttons) and drop the popup renaming
completely.

Best regards,
Peter

[1] http://dolphin.kde.org/philosophy.html