Rename in-line vs. rename pop-up

Marcus Harrison marcus.harrison at harrisonland.co.uk
Wed Jan 20 10:15:32 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 20 Jan 2010 09:59:52 Peter Penz wrote:
> Hello Marcus,
>
> On Thursday 14 January 2010 13:48:11 Marcus Harrison wrote:
> > Something I noticed while using Dolphin on a newly-installed
> >
> >  plasma-netbook- driven netbook - the default for renaming is a pop-up
> >  window. Problem is, this window is made full-screen under
> >  plasma-netbook.
>
> I was not aware about this...
>
> > I think that, ideally, renaming in-line should be the default - but while
> > we're discussing it, is there any reason (beyond simultaneously renaming
> > multiple files) to keep the pop-up? Would it be all that damaging to get
> >
> >  rid of the pop-up for individual files, remove that option and just use
> >  rename in- line?
>
> Using the popup was intended, as I watched people (that I'd see as target
> user group of Dolphin [1]) having problems with inline renaming:
>
> - Renaming very long file names in the icons view is tricky because of the
> vertical scrolling and the clipped text. I watched people trying to change
> the cursor position, but they accidentally clicked outside the renaming
> border and finalized the renaming.
>
> - they don't know how to finalize the renaming (it's not obvious that
> pressing Return is required)
>
> - they don't know how to cancel the renaming
>
> But this was no kind of usability study and maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there
> are also ways to improve the inline renaming (e. g. extending the width
> for the icons view or providing OK-/Cancel buttons) and drop the popup
> renaming completely.

I see. Sorry, these are quite valid concerns that I'd overlooked - I had
become so accustomed to the behaviour of rename-inline that I'd overlooked
this.
Still, if these problems can be overcome within rename-inline (without looking
hideous in the process, preferably), I believe it would be a welcome change.

Could the changes be tested when trunk is re-opened?

--
Marcus Harrison