[Patch] Unified reload/stop actions

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon May 18 10:05:06 BST 2009

2009/5/18 Aurélien Gâteau <agateau at kde.org>:
> Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>>> You mean webkit-based. There is, to my knowledge, no other khtml-based
>>> browser than Konqueror.
>>
>> True, small slip of the tongue I guess. Doesn't defeat his point - the
>> power of konqi is in the attraction to power users...
>
> What I meant is that there is no simple khtml-based alternative to
> Konqueror. Konqueror is the only solution KDE provides to browse the
> web, so it should not focus on power users only, unless the goal is to
> ensure casual users/distributions switch to alternatives like Firefox
> (or Arora or Rekonq when they are ready).

We don't have to ensure many casual users switch to alternatives like
Firefox, pretty much all of them already have. I know the problem
isn't in KHTML perse, but that doesn't change the situation it lacks
support for many modern sites like GMail and Google Docs. Konqi's
power is more in local & remote filemanagement & the powerful KParts
support, imho. KHTML is just one of it's KParts. Isn't this
mailinglist called KFM ;-)

> The simple-browser profile is probably a way to address this problem,
> but Konqueror still needs to be de-cluttered quite a bit IMHO.

Absolutely, but I would be careful alienating the powerusers. They are
an important part of the usergroup for Konqi.

> Aurélien

Like many, I'm eagerly awaiting the moment I can use a well-integrated
KDE browser with all websites I use. I'm completely satisfied with
KHTML in Akregator, as the sites I read news from mostly work (I load
the full website on viewing news items), but I always have to have
that loathsome firefox open for google docs, gmail etc. Unfortunately
Arora nor Rekonq are complety ready yet, and even if they were, I'd
rather have konqi with a good webkit KPart. The current one is barely
adequate.

Aaah well, I think this issue will solve itself in time, and it's good
that thought is spend on making konqi ready for the day the casual
endusers can enjoy it once again.

And more on-topic, I think the simple-browser profile should have the
combined stop/reload button... And I will personally configure the
other profiles to use it as well.

This doesn't add more options (only if you configure the toolbar there
is an additional entry on the left) so I don't see a reason not to add
it. Even if none of the default profiles have it.

grtz