Web Shortcuts

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed May 7 10:12:06 BST 2008

On Sunday 04 May 2008, Rafael =?utf-8?q?Fern=C3=A1ndez_L=C3=B3pez?= wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been told several times "why if I have unchecked on the configuration
> dialog on Konqueror on Web Shortcuts the 'google' shortcut, and I
> write 'gg:test' it keeps working?". I have produced the attached patch to fix
> that problem. I also removed the icon of the star that wanted to mark
> something like "bookmark" from the "Name" column.

Stephan? You added that 'simple GUI for selecting favorite search engines', which
people are now confusing for a enable/disable feature. But neither Rafael nor I could
figure out exactly what "FavoriteSearchEngines" was for initially.

If it's indeed about disabling some shortcuts, I have to wonder -- why would someone want to disable a web shortcut?
If you don't type its prefix, it's not used, so what do you gain by unchecking the checkbox?

> The patch also makes a difference between the errors of "Unknown protocol". If
> you write "somethingrandom:hey", it will just say "Unknown protocol", but if
> it finds that some shortcut's keyword is "somethingrandom" it will show
> something like: "Unknown protocol, but if you wanted to mean a webshortcut,
> please check if it is enabled in the configuration dialog."

Personally I think this makes things complex for no good reason, but if someone can come
up with a valid use case for disabling a web shortcut prefix, OK.

Otherwise, I would just remove the checkboxes altogether.