Smooth scrolling setting

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Mon Jun 16 22:30:39 BST 2008

Hi there,

I was told couple days ago by a user that he wanted to disable the 'smooth
scrolling' feature. I just told him to go to Konqueror settings, and disable
it.

He later told me that the problem was with KHelpCenter, which uses khtml (as
well as KMail, and others...). The smooth scrolling was going hell slow on his
computer, and he had no way of disabling the feature on places which are not
Konqueror (but using khml part).

From what I see, the place of this setting is wrong. So, there seems to be 2
different problems:

1) khtml part don't reading the value, or the kcm saving it somewhere else,
where it is not read by the khtml part, only from konqueror. This needs to be
fixed, for all apps using khtml part obeying the setting.

2) The setting is misplaced. I don't see why a user should 'know' that for
disabling the smooth scrolling of his/her KMail application, he/she should go
to Konqueror settings.

Regarding 2), as I worked on the animations thing, which will appear on 4.2, I
really thought that it wasn't worth creating a new kcm for systemsettings (I
wanted to call it "performance") for only a combobox for 'what level of
animation you want?'. But I now see that this setting (maybe others too) could
be moved to that kcm, since it is basically a performance setting.

Ideas ? Comments ?

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.