preview in dolphin is slow with many pictures

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Mon Jun 9 21:31:06 BST 2008

On Monday, 9. June 2008 20:50:14 Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Just a few thoughts; no action item for anyone if you fixed it in dolphin
> > already :) [as long as kfiledialog doesn't have inline previews in its
> > icon view]
>
> We had a patch somewhere in kcd from nefertum, that Peter (and I don't
> remember if somebody else) asked him to improve.
>
> He hasn't too many time... but if you guys want to take a look at his
> patch, it could be a very good point of start.

I'd say let's postpone this until KDE 4.1 is out. If we want inline previews
in kfiledialog I think a good approach would be moving Dolphin's IconManager
into kdelibs.

I'm not sure whether merging IconManager and KMimeTypeResolver is a good idea.
Although both classes use a similar approach to handle the visible area
first, I think the main complexity in the case of previews is not the
visible-area-part. E. g. the IconManager also takes care about cut items and
exchanges the icons in blocks to the item-view to improve the performance
(the blockwise handling is not required in KMimeTypeResolver as there the new
mimetype icon has always the same size and hence no relayout gets triggered
for the item view).

Regards,
Peter