preview in dolphin is slow with many pictures

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jun 9 21:44:10 BST 2008

On Monday 09 June 2008, Peter Penz wrote:
> On Monday, 9. June 2008 20:50:14 Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Just a few thoughts; no action item for anyone if you fixed it in dolphin
> > > already :) [as long as kfiledialog doesn't have inline previews in its
> > > icon view]
> >
> > We had a patch somewhere in kcd from nefertum, that Peter (and I don't
> > remember if somebody else) asked him to improve.
> >
> > He hasn't too many time... but if you guys want to take a look at his
> > patch, it could be a very good point of start.
>
> I'd say let's postpone this until KDE 4.1 is out.

I agree.

> I'm not sure whether merging IconManager and KMimeTypeResolver is a good idea.
> Although both classes use a similar approach to handle the visible area
> first, I think the main complexity in the case of previews is not the
> visible-area-part. E. g. the IconManager also takes care about cut items and
> exchanges the icons in blocks to the item-view to improve the performance
> (the blockwise handling is not required in KMimeTypeResolver as there the new
> mimetype icon has always the same size and hence no relayout gets triggered
> for the item view).

I see. OK then. One thing we could do for more performance and to make things more
reliable then, would be to disable KMimeTypeResolver when previews are enabled -
there's no point in replacing an unknown icon with a resolved-mimetype icon, to *then*
replace it with a preview... (and as I mentionned, the mimetype resolver isn't needed
when having previews anyway, assuming IconManager ends up calling KFileItem::mimetype)