David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Jan 16 21:57:50 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 09 January 2008, reader at newsguy.com wrote:
> David Faure <faure at kde.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> >>   No matter which one I choose (emacs, kwrite,kate)
> >> When I restart konq and try to view source... I just get the bouncing
> >> cursor that eventually times out but nothing ever comes up.
> > Does kwrite start OK if you launch it separately?
>
> kwrite appears to start without incident/error from a cmdline prompt
> or from kde desktop menu item.  Ditto for emacs and kate.

Strange; it must be a broken invocation then... I don't support you have
.desktop files under ~/.kde that redefine all those editors though...

> > Maybe klauncher is dead - tried restarting KDE, just in case?
>
> The machine has been rebooted a time or two.  Klauncher isn't meant to
> be started manually but starting kdeinit by hand produces a string of
> errors ... that appear to be mostly benign.. I don't know enough to
> say so including them inline here.  To me they appear to be the kind
> of thing you might expect when starting kdeinit from an already
> running session: (wrapped for mail)
Yep.

> >From a running kde session at a cmdline prompt in an xterm:
> =============================
> kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
> ---------------------------------
> It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
> that it is not already running, remove /home/reader/.DCOPserver_reader__0
> and start dcopserver again.
Yes it's already running, so no problem.

> kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
Not relevant.

But the question is, after you start kdeinit in a terminal, what does that terminal
show when you try "view source" again. Either the terminal, or konqueror, should
show an error.