reader at newsguy.com reader at newsguy.com
Wed Jan 16 23:53:25 GMT 2008

David Faure <faure at kde.org> writes:

> On Wednesday 09 January 2008, reader at newsguy.com wrote:
>> David Faure <faure at kde.org> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>> > Does kwrite start OK if you launch it separately?
>>
>> kwrite appears to start without incident/error from a cmdline prompt
>> or from kde desktop menu item.  Ditto for emacs and kate.
>
> Strange; it must be a broken invocation then... I don't support you have
> .desktop files under ~/.kde that redefine all those editors though...

No no redefinitions but this might help a bit: Someone pointed out
that user can access the source with right-click open with, and I find
going at it from that direction I get somewhat better results.  That
is, kwrite and kate will launch.  I have to go find them  with the
`other' part of the dialog.  However emacs still will not launch and
it appears in the dialog.  Don't have to go find it.

Even if I use `other' and track emacs down and start it with the -Q
flag (which means it starts without loading any of its normal init
files which might contain the reason for this problem).  Even then it
will not launch and times out.

Here comes the good part... if I use `other' and type in:
`xterm -e emacs' then an xterm starts which immediately launches
emacs with the source page loaded.

[...]

> But the question is, after you start kdeinit in a terminal, what
> does that terminal show when you try "view source" again. Either the
> terminal, or konqueror, should show an error.

Sorry I was too dense to understand what you were after.  Trying that
now and I guess you mean after kdeinit I should type  konqueror
at the same xterm.

Doing that, and in the resulting konqueror View/View Document Source
just gives me a bouncing curor that finally times out.  No error
appears in the xterm.

Trying right-click/open with/ Gnu emacs  Again I get the bouncing
cursor that eventually times out but no error appears in xterm.