reader at newsguy.com reader at newsguy.com
Wed Jan 9 02:00:25 GMT 2008

David Faure <faure at kde.org> writes:

[...]

>>   No matter which one I choose (emacs, kwrite,kate)
>> When I restart konq and try to view source... I just get the bouncing
>> cursor that eventually times out but nothing ever comes up.
> Does kwrite start OK if you launch it separately?

kwrite appears to start without incident/error from a cmdline prompt
or from kde desktop menu item.  Ditto for emacs and kate.

>> I tried putting the absolute path in the dialog but it acts no
>> different.  Can anyone advise me how to further debug this?

> Watch ~/.xsession-errors (on most linux distros) for errors coming
> from the launching of kwrite.

No such file here and watching the ~/ directory with `ls -altr'
(showing most recent modified files last so I see them easily) doesn't
show any interesting files that look like they would contain kde
errors.

> Maybe klauncher is dead - tried restarting KDE, just in case?

The machine has been rebooted a time or two.  Klauncher isn't meant to
be started manually but starting kdeinit by hand produces a string of
errors ... that appear to be mostly benign.. I don't know enough to
say so including them inline here.  To me they appear to be the kind
of thing you might expect when starting kdeinit from an already
running session: (wrapped for mail)

>From a running kde session at a cmdline prompt in an xterm:
=============================
kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
---------------------------------
It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
that it is not already running, remove /home/reader/.DCOPserver_reader__0
and start dcopserver again.
---------------------------------

KDE Daemon (kded) already running.
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca

kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/usr/kde/3.5/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ark_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/emacsclient.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/emacsclient.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/emacsclient.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
'/usr/share/applications/mozilla-firefox-2.0.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/mml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype
'application/x-navi-animation'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/bmp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-MS-bmp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-icon'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-portable-anymap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-portable-graymap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-cmu-raster'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-sun-raster'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-tga'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/vnd.wap.wbmp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-xbitmap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-xpixmap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/svg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-png'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gqview.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/xpm'