License question

Stephen Lau steve at grommit.com
Mon Apr 14 18:41:51 BST 2008

Hi,
(I'm not subscribed to the list, so please include me on any replies if
possible... thanks!)

I have a license question re: NPAPI plugins and distribution of them
with Konqueror.  If Konqueror is GPL'd, how can distributors (e.g.
Linux, BSD, OpenSolaris distributions) distribute both Konqueror and any
NPAPI proprietary/closed plugins (e.g. Adobe/Macromedia Flash)?

 From my understanding of NPAPI and the reading of the GNU GPL FAQ here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins
it seems like this would cause a GPL violation, since the NPAPI
interface is certainly more than just a dumb fork/exec or a
limited-`main` invocation.

Not trying to raise any issues, just a genuine concern from the point of
view of anyone wanting to distribute Konqueror + Flash.  IANAL, so it's
completely possible I'm missing something obvious, and would welcome any
thoughts/opinions/re-education.

cheers,
steve

--