License question

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 20:51:37 BST 2008

Hi,

> distribute both Konqueror and any
> NPAPI proprietary/closed plugins (e.g. Adobe/Macromedia Flash)?

Typically they are not distributed together.  Konqueror is provided in one package which
can be installed or run on its own without Flash present.  The Flash plugin is then provided separately
(usually from a different source).  When running Konqueror with the flash plugin present it will be
loaded as necessary.  The decision on whether or not to combine the two is up to the user.
As far as I can see the logic would be pretty similar to that of closed kernel modules.
For the same reasons some distributions (eg. Fedora) do not make Flash available from their official repositories.

In any case, this is probably not the best place to ask.  KDE only provides the source code for Konqueror and
nspluginviewer.  The kind souls who work hard to put it all together (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, SuSE et. al) will have
a much better understanding of any legal issues that come up.

Regards,
Robert.