File dialog: preview widget

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Fri Sep 7 07:29:20 BST 2007

Hello,

during the port of the file-dialog to KDE 4 and reading some discussions about
the "cluttered file dialog" (http://dot.kde.org/1188928003/1188936931,
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=18563) I was wondering about the
preview widget: http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/temp/file-dialog.png

I personally never used the option to turn off the automatic preview by
unchecking the "Automatic preview" checkbox and hence I also never needed
the "Preview" button. If I don't want to have a preview, I just turn off the
preview widget completely...

It is not my intention to remove any functionality that is needed, but in this
case I could not think of a usecase where using the checkbox/button has any
benefit against just turning off the preview.

Is there something I'm missing here? If not, I'd like to remove the checkbox
and the preview button, as it adds quite a lot visual clutter.

Thanks!
Peter