File dialog: preview widget

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Sep 7 15:35:25 BST 2007

On Friday 07 September 2007, Peter Penz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> during the port of the file-dialog to KDE 4 and reading some discussions about
> the "cluttered file dialog" (http://dot.kde.org/1188928003/1188936931,
> http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=18563) I was wondering about the
> preview widget: http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/temp/file-dialog.png
>
> I personally never used the option to turn off the automatic preview by
> unchecking the "Automatic preview" checkbox and hence I also never needed
> the "Preview" button. If I don't want to have a preview, I just turn off the
> preview widget completely...
>
> It is not my intention to remove any functionality that is needed, but in this
> case I could not think of a usecase where using the checkbox/button has any
> benefit against just turning off the preview.
>
> Is there something I'm missing here? If not, I'd like to remove the checkbox
> and the preview button, as it adds quite a lot visual clutter.

I think it can be useful in case of very large images where the previews would take
a long time to show up, so the user could have more control over when exactly to
make a preview. But well, I can't decide about usefulness vs visual clutter for others.
I just want to point out that the users of the file dialog are all KDE apps so you probably
want to ask on kde-core-devel rather than on kfm-devel (which is limited to konqueror and dolphin people).