GiB vs. GB

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Nov 3 12:32:53 GMT 2007

Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
>  The problem with that is that we're used to use different meanings of
> KB. For example, 2GB of memory are 2048MBs, but 100Mbps of NIC speed is
> 100000Kbps. So, a single option is doomed to result in bug reports :-)
> (Imagine a program saying that your 100Mbps ethernet connection is just
> 95.36Mbps)

It's more complicated than that and we can thank the telecommunications
industry for it.

A 64 kbit/s phone line is actually 64000 bits per second (one packet of 8
bits at 8000 times per second). However, when you put 32 of them
together, you get 2048000 bits per second or 2 Mbit/s (exact).

Then again, there's a lot of overhead in any transmission protocol, so
anyone trying to make exact calculations is nuts.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358