Swfdec/Konqi integration

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Thu May 3 15:35:03 BST 2007

Maksim Orlovich <mo85 <at> cornell.edu> writes:

> Two reasons, from looking at plugin.c:
> 1) It requires XEmbed embedding, which we don't support at the moment, but
> may in the later releases. (We support a somewhat older version of the
> plugin ABI, which uses Xt for embedding)

I don't even remember why I required XEmbed, it might be because of Mozilla.
It's probably pretty bogus, since Swfdec doesn't even do Keyboard stuff yet.
This one could probably be disabled.

> 2) It incorporates a bogus Gtk2 check, likely from the Mozilla example.
> Even if/when we support XEmbed version of the plugin spec, we will near
> certainly not claim to be using a toolkit we're not using.

I don't think the check is bogus. I needed a way to make the Flash animation
tick, and as far as the NSplugin API goes, I could have either used a thread
and do lots of locking or register a timeout with the main loop. So I chose
the timeout.

So from your answers I conclude that the best solution would be a KPart, but
that sounds nontrivial - especially for a KDE Newbie like me.
One would probably also need to replicate the functionality of libswfdec-gtk,
which is sound output (can probably be copied with adapting the 10 lines
managing the main loop), rendering, mouse input and support for ticking (which
is about 3 functions in Swfdec).
Where do I find volunteers now? :)

> BTW, the download link for the plugin is broken...

I know the one in the 0.4.4 release email is broken, yeah. Any other link I
missed?

Benjamin