Swfdec/Konqi integration

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Thu May 3 16:32:44 BST 2007

> Maksim Orlovich <mo85 <at> cornell.edu> writes:
>
>> Two reasons, from looking at plugin.c:
>> 1) It requires XEmbed embedding, which we don't support at the moment,
>> but
>> may in the later releases. (We support a somewhat older version of the
>> plugin ABI, which uses Xt for embedding)
>>
> I don't even remember why I required XEmbed, it might be because of
> Mozilla.
> It's probably pretty bogus, since Swfdec doesn't even do Keyboard stuff
> yet.
> This one could probably be disabled.

Nope. That changes the way the window is embedded, so it's rather
fundamental.

>> 2) It incorporates a bogus Gtk2 check, likely from the Mozilla example.
>> Even if/when we support XEmbed version of the plugin spec, we will near
>> certainly not claim to be using a toolkit we're not using.
>>
> I don't think the check is bogus. I needed a way to make the Flash
> animation
> tick, and as far as the NSplugin API goes, I could have either used a
> thread
> and do lots of locking or register a timeout with the main loop. So I
> chose
> the timeout.

Sounds like you're right, and, well, then it can't possibly run under
nspluginviewer in KDE3. It might run in KDE4 w/some builds of Qt (using
glib event loop), but that's not guaranteed. Someone familiar with the
event loop stuff better may be able to comment better, though. (paging
tronical)

> So from your answers I conclude that the best solution would be a KPart,
> but
> that sounds nontrivial - especially for a KDE Newbie like me.
> One would probably also need to replicate the functionality of
> libswfdec-gtk,

KParts are actually very simple... see e.g.
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdenonbeta/style-workshop/largeimagelib/part/largeimagepart.h?revision=372428&view=markup&pathrev=414470
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdenonbeta/style-workshop/largeimagelib/part/largeimagepart.cpp?revision=373225&view=markup&pathrev=414470
...but that's when one is familiar with kdelibs API..
(waits for DFaure to say his code is all wrong ;-) )

And you should be able to plug the gtk output code pretty easily -- just
getting the handle from QWidget would be fine..

>> BTW, the download link for the plugin is broken...
>>
> I know the one in the 0.4.4 release email is broken, yeah. Any other link
> missed?

That's the one, actually. I didn't notice it was the release e-mail,
actually, since it's what's linked from
http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/