Localised directory names using the .directory files

Martin Böhm martin.bohm at kubuntu.org
Sat Jul 7 14:26:21 BST 2007

Hello list,
(my first post here, so don't eat me alive)

I've been playing with the idea of changing certain directory names
using the .directory desktop files, which can contain a Name=
parameter.
This could be a nice feature for the users who are not native English
speakers - it could help them see "Desktop", "Music", etc. (think
xdg-user-dirs) in the language of their choice.

Special directory icons are currently solved this way, so why not use
the names as well?

There is a minor issue concerning duplicate directory names (if the
Music/ directory is "translated" as Musik/ and the user creates a new
Musik/ directory himself). I don't see a big problem with that, as the
user knows he created a second directory (and I can't see a user case
where the user would want to do that).

Also, note that the decision on whether to use .directory files like
this or not is not on KDE, but on the distributions (and the users).
They don't have to use .directory files at all, they don't have to put
"Name=" in them. Still, it would be a nice i18n feature for those that
want it.

I don't have a patch yet, but I'll be happy to work on it if you
consider this feature useful.

Thanks for your opinions and keep up the great work on KDE's file managers!

Martin Böhm