Localised directory names using the .directory files

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Sat Jul 7 23:46:51 BST 2007

Hi Martin,

On Saturday 07 July 2007 15:26:21 Martin Böhm wrote:
[snip]
> There is a minor issue concerning duplicate directory names (if the
> Music/ directory is "translated" as Musik/ and the user creates a new
> Musik/ directory himself). I don't see a big problem with that, as the
> user knows he created a second directory (and I can't see a user case
> where the user would want to do that).

I see it as a major problem when having two folder icons named "Musik" inside
one view. No matter whether the user did this on purpose or not: as soon as
this case occurs, the user has a problem.

More important is the answer to the question what should happen when the user
renames a folder. Should the name property of the .directory entry be renamed
or the name of the folder? Now combined with the above use case when having a
folder named "Music" showing "Musik" (because of the .directory entry) and
having a second folder named "Musik" (without a .directory entry), then the
outcome of renaming a folder is unpredictable...

Best regards,
Peter