Dolphin with tabs

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jul 6 16:04:37 BST 2007

Le vendredi 06 juillet 2007, K N a écrit :
>     I am purposing that there be setting within dolphin that controls
> whether or not tabs are allowed and that tabs be implemented into dolphin.
> I am attaching a patch that implements tabs into dolphin but it doesn't yet
> allow for tabs to enabled/disabled yet or the closing of tabs.

Ouch, honestly it doesn't look like a good idea to me. It'll be yet another
setting for a feature you can already have elsewhere. The current plan being
to keep Dolphin streamlined and Konqueror as the feature packed swiss-army
knife... I'd prefer stick to this split of responsibilities and user base
between the two tools than adding tabs to Konqueror.

>     I have talked with several individuals some which say tabs should be
> allowed. Others are saying that tabs shouldn't be allowed. I think the best
> compromise and solution to making everyone happy is to make a setting for
> tabs and by default the tab feature is disabled keeping dolphin simple.

That's what we've done in the past, and why our userbase complains about the
complexity of our settings dialogs. I'm not advocating that we should adding
features, I love features... But trying to workaround a problem (in this case
duplication) by a setting looks bad to me.

> Then if the user wants a more advanced feature like tabs, the user simple
> enables it.
>
>    I am willing to write the rest of the code to fully integrate tabs into
> dolphin in the way I purposed. Just one thing to think about when
> considering tabs is the firefox browser. Part of its popularity was due to
> the inclusion of tabs which caused Microsoft to release a new version of
> internet explorer.

Being marketing driven to push for a feature is not a good reason IMO. But
well, different people, different motives, I can live with that. It doesn't
solve the point I raised above though.

/me goes to implement tabs in kcalc to improve its popularity. ;-)

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."