Konqueror and Dolphin service menu location

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Aug 3 14:28:23 BST 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 03 August 2007, Peter Penz wrote:
> > If I remember correctly we decided some months ago that it would be a
> > good idea having a common location for service menus. As such service
> > menus can also be useful outside the scope of Konqueror or Dolphin, I'm
> > not sure about a proper place where to put them.
>
> after looking at this it became apparent to me that we really need two
> different kinds of servicemenus: global and application specific.
>
> perhaps an easy way to do this would be to put the actual .desktop entries
> into kde4/services/ and use KServiceTypeTrader to locate them, then load

Just as a side note: locatable service menus would also allow to have
additional locations in the future without needing to change code.
Such an situation would be nice if a freedesktop.org "standard" emerges for
service menus. ISVs would really like this (based on private communication
with a developer of Adobe's Unix team)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring