Konqueror and Dolphin service menu location

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 3 13:25:26 BST 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007, Peter Penz wrote:
> If I remember correctly we decided some months ago that it would be a good
> idea having a common location for service menus. As such service menus can
> also be useful outside the scope of Konqueror or Dolphin, I'm not sure
> about a proper place where to put them.

after looking at this it became apparent to me that we really need two
different kinds of servicemenus: global and application specific.

perhaps an easy way to do this would be to put the actual .desktop entries
into kde4/services/ and use KServiceTypeTrader to locate them, then load the
extra data from the .desktop file. done correctly, we could even provide a
KSycocaFactory that adds entries to sycoca for servicemenus. then we could
query for them -and- load all the data for them (actions, etc) directly out
the sycoca. this should make it stupidly fast, and we can filter on things
like X-KDE-ParentApp and Mimetypes=

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se