Konqueror and Dolphin service menu location

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Fri Aug 3 19:01:42 BST 2007

Hi Aaron!

On Friday, 3. August 2007 14:25, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 03 August 2007, Peter Penz wrote:
> > If I remember correctly we decided some months ago that it would be a
> > good idea having a common location for service menus. As such service
> > menus can also be useful outside the scope of Konqueror or Dolphin, I'm
> > not sure about a proper place where to put them.
>
> after looking at this it became apparent to me that we really need two
> different kinds of servicemenus: global and application specific.

OK

> perhaps an easy way to do this would be to put the actual .desktop entries
> into kde4/services/ and use KServiceTypeTrader to locate them, then load
> the extra data from the .desktop file. done correctly, we could even
> provide a KSycocaFactory that adds entries to sycoca for servicemenus. then
> we could query for them -and- load all the data for them (actions, etc)
> directly out the sycoca. this should make it stupidly fast, and we can
> filter on things like X-KDE-ParentApp and Mimetypes=

As I'm not very familiar with this topic yet, I'm not sure about the workload
of this task. Do you think we can get this in for KDE 4.0? Currently I'm
working on fixing some tricky column view issues in Dolphin, but I should
have time investigating into this service menu topic in around 2 weeks (for
sure if somebody else wants to grab this package, I would not object ;-)).

Best regards,
Peter