konqy and the model-view-concept in the dirviews

Michael Brade brade at kde.org
Tue Sep 12 13:30:06 BST 2006

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 14:13, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 September 2006 12:53, Michael Brade wrote:
> > Do you want me to comment on that? :) Well, my first reaction wasn't a
> > "yes, that's it". If we keep the sorting in KDirListerCache that would
> > save memory but could become a performance issue. Theoretically many
> > different Konquerors could query a nextUrl() and each time the sorting
> > has to be applied again.
>
> Theoretically yes, but in practice it is extremely unlikely that the user
> is going through his image collection in two image parts at the same time,
> both of which being started from konqiconviews with different sorting mode
> :)
Yeah, "unlikely"... we'll remember that one day ;-))
Well then, when do you want to do the sorting? Sorting takes N log N, and it
would have to be redone everytime nextUrl() is called just in case something
else changed it. So to me a linear walk-through sounds better, no? Unless you
can guarantee that throughout the usage of that view the order won't be
changed.

> If the order of the items in the cache can indeed be changed (I wasn't sure
> if there was already some order that had to be used), then this does sound
> like a good way of doing it.
Sure, the order doesn't matter at all right now, and nothing is preventing us
from changing it. Just not sure if we need to...

--
Rohan Michael Brade;           KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 4: Beyond Your Expectations