konqy and the model-view-concept in the dirviews

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Sep 12 13:13:28 BST 2006

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 12:53, Michael Brade wrote:
> On Monday 11 September 2006 12:58, you wrote:
> > > It is currently also not possible to do a "go to next file" while viewing
> > > a file, because at this time the next file is not know (it was known when
> > > the dir view was still active).
> >
> > Ah - OK. That much is indeed missing. But parts should be reusable outside
> > of konq, so it's not konq which should store the information about the
> > directory listing; instead it should be given to the part via
> > BrowserExtension. But for memory saving we don't really want to pass a
> > whole set of fileitems there; so maybe all we need is sorting information
> > and a kdirlister method "give me the next url after <this file> using <this
> > sorting>". Since the directory listing is in cache, it should be pretty
> > fast; well, except that the sorting needs to be applied first.
> >
> > Then parts could call that (with their own url and the sorting coming from
> > BrowserExtension) when the user presses the "next file" button.
> Do you want me to comment on that? :) Well, my first reaction wasn't a "yes,
> that's it". If we keep the sorting in KDirListerCache that would save memory
> but could become a performance issue. Theoretically many different Konquerors
> could query a nextUrl() and each time the sorting has to be applied again.
Theoretically yes, but in practice it is extremely unlikely that the user is going through
his image collection in two image parts at the same time, both of which being started
from konqiconviews with different sorting mode :)

If the order of the items in the cache can indeed be changed (I wasn't sure if there
was already some order that had to be used), then this does sound like a good way
of doing it.