konqy and the model-view-concept in the dirviews

Michael Brade brade at kde.org
Tue Sep 12 11:53:23 BST 2006

On Monday 11 September 2006 12:58, you wrote:
> > It is currently also not possible to do a "go to next file" while viewing
> > a file, because at this time the next file is not know (it was known when
> > the dir view was still active).
>
> Ah - OK. That much is indeed missing. But parts should be reusable outside
> of konq, so it's not konq which should store the information about the
> directory listing; instead it should be given to the part via
> BrowserExtension. But for memory saving we don't really want to pass a
> whole set of fileitems there; so maybe all we need is sorting information
> and a kdirlister method "give me the next url after <this file> using <this
> sorting>". Since the directory listing is in cache, it should be pretty
> fast; well, except that the sorting needs to be applied first.
>
> Then parts could call that (with their own url and the sorting coming from
> BrowserExtension) when the user presses the "next file" button.
Do you want me to comment on that? :) Well, my first reaction wasn't a "yes,
that's it". If we keep the sorting in KDirListerCache that would save memory
but could become a performance issue. Theoretically many different Konquerors
could query a nextUrl() and each time the sorting has to be applied again.

A linear traversal through the unsorted items to find the next one sounds
better to me, but with big listings that might take a lot longer.... then
again, copying the list and sorting it beforehand takes a lot of memory...
guess we have to choose what we want to trade for what.

--
Rohan Michael Brade;           KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 4: Beyond Your Expectations