Konqueror 4

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Tue Oct 31 06:40:35 GMT 2006

Hello,

[Aaron J. Seigo wrote:]
> i've been talking to peter via private email quite a bit about
> this already and he's completely onside with this approach,
> including moving dolphin into  kde's svn to make it easier for
> us to collaborate on the porting work. but he can speak for
> himself here and provide all the details.

I agree to all points from David. Some details about the planned schedule: I want to release one last version of Dolphin based on KDE3 during the next weeks. Some cleanups will be done here to make the porting easier.

In early December I will start with a KDE4 port of Dolphin. I see Dolphin more as a prototype to do some usability testing and to test some ideas. I don't claim that Dolphin should get "the KDE4 file manager". I think if some ideas in Dolphin work (e. g. maybe the navigation bar), then we can take this code out of Dolphin and move it to kdelibs4, so that it can be used by Konqueror, other applications or the file dialog.

If Dolphin gets obsolete with KDE4 and could at least help to contribute some ideas and code parts then I'm fine with it :-)

Best regards,
Peter