Konqueror 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 30 21:33:14 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 3:53, David Faure wrote:
> In particular, how about we make a standalone library (well, or set of
> classes in libkonq) for the view framework?

i think this makes complete sense.

> That is: support for any level
> of view splitting and for tabs, and the related kactions.
> This assumes that we actually need nested view splitting in the file
> manager though, as opposed to just one splitter i.e. one level of splitting
> like in dolphin. I'm not sure this is actually used; I often split, but
> never more than once.

i've seen screenshots with more than one split, but i'm not sure that was
anything more than showing that you -can-. it certainly does make the control
interface for splitting much more complicated. i lean towards your instincts
here as well and think that going with a single split is likely enough; we
can always gather user feedback along the way.

> This also assumes that we need tabs in the filemanager but I read in the
> openusability study about filemanagers that users liked the tabs in
> konqueror and were missing them in Windows.

i see no reason not to provide tabs; they are increasingly popular in
applications and will decrease the learning difference between the browser
and manager applications.

> I really don't have strong opinions on how the GUI should be like

on the other side of this fence, i do have some expectations and hopes for the
GUI. perhaps this results in a natural and complimentary division of interest
and duties here =)

> 2) create a kde4-based dolphin based on those building blocks -- which
> doesn't really mean a straight kde4 port of the current dolphin codebase,
> but rather porting the core of dolphin (and using kde4 stuff for the rest
> of it (for instance I think that bookmarks should use kio/bookmarks, with a
> different xml file than the one used by konqueror, and that undomanager
> should use KCommandHistory from kdeui and/or konq_undo, etc.). By working
> on dolphin in kdebase we can make it use more of kdelibs4 to avoid some of
> that duplication of code and efforts.

i've been talking to peter via private email quite a bit about this already
and he's completely onside with this approach, including moving dolphin into
kde's svn to make it easier for us to collaborate on the porting work. but he
can speak for himself here and provide all the details.

> I'm happy to contribue to both parts of the work, of course.
> What do you think about this approach?

i'm in.

--
Aaron J. Seigo