Enhancing Konqueror

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Mar 18 13:57:00 GMT 2006

On Saturday 18 March 2006 13:35, Charles A. Landemaine wrote:
> > >  - A Google/Wikipedia search field next to the location bar such as in
> > > Opera or Firefox.
> >
> > It is (not sure if default). BTW - web shortcuts are much, much more
> > comfortable.
>
> There is no search field on Konqueror 3.5.1. Regular users don't use
> shortcuts because they don't know about them.

You're missing the Search Bar plugin from kde-addons, or it is disabled. Check
Settings->Configure Extensions.

On a Suse 10 installation it is enabled by default.

> > >  - Make the .html handled by default by Konqueror so that when you
> > > click a link, the page doesn't load in Kate.
> >
> > Isn't it default?
>
> Not on a fresh install with 3.5.1 on FreeBSD.

Is this only on a particular website? Sounds like the web server tells Konq
that the mime type is text/plain, which is obviously honoured by finding the
appropriate text rather than html viewer.

> > >  - A Session-saver: You can save the current session with the open
> > > tabs, and re-open these tabs later on. Also you can auto-save current
> > > session on exit so that if you close Konqueror and re-open it, you
> > > don't loose the last pages you visited
> >
> > Yeah. Theoretically it exists but only with specific cache settings,
> > should be independent.
>
> Actually it works fine as long as you don't close Konqueror (just log
> out / log in to KDE). If you happen to close Konqueror you loose your
> open tabs.

You can use Save->View Profile to create a new profile based on your
preference, or overwrite the Web Browsing profile.

> > >  - Close tab button should be on the tab (on the right), and not in
> > > the corner, it's more convenient
> >
> > You can have it on the tab.
>
> Yes, but I mean in the default settings, on a fresh install without
> having to tweak the settings.

From a usability standpoint this is a very bad feature. It works awesome for
power users, but the usability tests I have seen for most other users
indicate that users are far too likely to accidentally hit the close button
when not intended.

For power users it's indeed very nice, but I guess you agree that it would
make for a very poor default.

> > >  - Switch user-agent for current page (for web sites that reject
> > > Konqueror)
> >
> > Kde-addons.
>
> I mean a simple way to do it, such as a menu entry like in Opera or
> Firefox.

kde-addons ;-)

Install the plugin and go to Tools->Change Browser Identification. It's
enabled automatically as soon as you install the plugin. If your distribution
doesn't install them I would complain that their default install is too much
stripped down ;-)

--
Martijn