Enhancing Konqueror

Charles A. Landemaine landemaine at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 12:35:34 GMT 2006

On 3/17/06, Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach at wp.pl> wrote:
> Dnia piątek, 17 marca 2006 20:01, Charles A. Landemaine napisał:
> > Hello, here's a list of features I suggest could be added to Konqueror:
> >
> >  - A Wand: Click a wand icon, and Konqueror auto-fills for you the
> > form with your login and password and submits the form automatically
> > (pretty neat)
>
> Use KWallet. The only thing missing is auto-submit of forms.

And this is exactly the "submit" feature that is missing. Also I don't
know if Kwallet manages 2+ passwords per form (ie: the wife's
password, the husband's password, etc...) the way Opera does.

> >  - A Google/Wikipedia search field next to the location bar such as in
> > Opera or Firefox.
>
> It is (not sure if default). BTW - web shortcuts are much, much more
> comfortable.

There is no search field on Konqueror 3.5.1. Regular users don't use
shortcuts because they don't know about them.

> >  - Make the .html handled by default by Konqueror so that when you
> > click a link, the page doesn't load in Kate.
>
> Isn't it default?

Not on a fresh install with 3.5.1 on FreeBSD.

> >  - A Session-saver: You can save the current session with the open
> > tabs, and re-open these tabs later on. Also you can auto-save current
> > session on exit so that if you close Konqueror and re-open it, you
> > don't loose the last pages you visited
>
> Yeah. Theoretically it exists but only with specific cache settings,
> should be independent.

Actually it works fine as long as you don't close Konqueror (just log
out / log in to KDE). If you happen to close Konqueror you loose your
open tabs.

> >  - Use more cache memory: When you hit "Back" or "Forward", Konqueror
> > doesn't need to reload the pages. Just reload from cache, and it
> > becomes as fast as Opera.
> >
> >  - Close tab button should be on the tab (on the right), and not in
> > the corner, it's more convenient
>
> You can have it on the tab.

Yes, but I mean in the default settings, on a fresh install without
having to tweak the settings.

> >  - Web site icon should be on the tab on the right
>
> Two icons (close and icon) is too much for one tab.

No, Opera does it nicely, and it doesn't take much room.

> >  - New tab button
>
> It is (on the left side of tab row).

I don't have it.

> >  - Open new windows in new tabs
>
> Present in Konq.

Yes, but I mean in the default settings, on a fresh install without
having to tweak the settings.

> >  - Default smart pop up blocker

Konqueror opens advertising popups on a fresh install.

> >  - Mouse gestures like Opera (I'm missing them so much)
>
> Khotkeys is the keyword.

It doesn't work on a default installation like Opera (you need to download it).

> >  - Activate previous used tab when closing the current tab
>
> Present in Konq.

I retried here, and this is not working.

> >  - Disable "Focus Window" in JS
>
> Not sure.

This is because for instance you open a web site that is loading and
is taking time to download. Then you decide to open Yahoo News to read
news. So, you're reading an article, and all of the sudden, the first
web site pops up, your article disappears because the 1st web site has
a JS focus. This is very annoying. Gmail does it when the page is
loaded on other browsers for instance. I disabled it in Opera.

> >  - Use cache whenever possible
>
> Ugh. As default setting it makes no sense. Most people use web for
> checking information, loading news.yahoo.com from cache could cause
> funny efects. OTOH if Konq could separate loading of graphics (a la
> Opera) and text...

Opera does it the right way. I don't know how they do it, but there is
probably an algorythm, because on news web sites, the cache works
partially (you don't have to hit F5, but on regular sites, the full
cache works and the browser is very fast as it reloads from cache.

> >  - Switch user-agent for current page (for web sites that reject
> > Konqueror)
>
> Kde-addons.

I mean a simple way to do it, such as a menu entry like in Opera or Firefox.

> >  - Support for AJAX version of Gmail:
> > http://mail.google.com/mail/?nocheckbrowser
>
> AFAIK in big part it is Google problem. *They* are rejecting Konq.

You're true, but Google also rejects Opera, still the Opera team works
actively to support Gmail's whims. And Opera identifies as IE when
connecting to Gmail.

--
Charles A. Landemaine.