Enhancing Konqueror

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Fri Mar 17 21:11:15 GMT 2006

Dnia piątek, 17 marca 2006 20:01, Charles A. Landemaine napisał:
> Hello, here's a list of features I suggest could be added to Konqueror:
>
>  - A Wand: Click a wand icon, and Konqueror auto-fills for you the
> form with your login and password and submits the form automatically
> (pretty neat)

Use KWallet. The only thing missing is auto-submit of forms.

>  - A Google/Wikipedia search field next to the location bar such as in
> Opera or Firefox.

It is (not sure if default). BTW - web shortcuts are much, much more
comfortable.

>  - Make the .html handled by default by Konqueror so that when you
> click a link, the page doesn't load in Kate.

Isn't it default?

>  - A Session-saver: You can save the current session with the open
> tabs, and re-open these tabs later on. Also you can auto-save current
> session on exit so that if you close Konqueror and re-open it, you
> don't loose the last pages you visited

Yeah. Theoretically it exists but only with specific cache settings,
should be independent.

>  - Use more cache memory: When you hit "Back" or "Forward", Konqueror
> doesn't need to reload the pages. Just reload from cache, and it
> becomes as fast as Opera.
>
>  - Close tab button should be on the tab (on the right), and not in
> the corner, it's more convenient

You can have it on the tab.

>  - Web site icon should be on the tab on the right

Two icons (close and icon) is too much for one tab.

>  - New tab button

It is (on the left side of tab row).

>  - Open new windows in new tabs

Present in Konq.

>  - Default smart pop up blocker

See above.

>  - Authorized pop ups open in new window

See above.

>  - Home URL should be blank

Not.

>  - Mouse gestures like Opera (I'm missing them so much)

Khotkeys is the keyword.

>  - Activate previous used tab when closing the current tab

Present in Konq.

>  - Disable "Focus Window" in JS

Not sure.

>  - Web shortcuts: add 'g' for Google, add also 'pbi' to look for
> applications on the PBIDir

There is gg default for Google afair (I changed it long time ago for g,
gg for groups and gi for images).

>  - Use cache whenever possible

Ugh. As default setting it makes no sense. Most people use web for
checking information, loading news.yahoo.com from cache could cause
funny efects. OTOH if Konq could separate loading of graphics (a la
Opera) and text...

>  - Dock the download manager into Konqueror (having the download
> manager poping up is extremely annoying).

Huh? Put KGet into tray and you will see only unobtrusive passive
popups.

>  - Toggle on/off style-sheet for current page
>
>  - Switch user-agent for current page (for web sites that reject
> Konqueror)

Kde-addons.

>  - Support for AJAX version of Gmail:
> http://mail.google.com/mail/?nocheckbrowser

AFAIK in big part it is Google problem. *They* are rejecting Konq.

m.