kdom and khtml integration

Rob Buis rwlbuis at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 1 21:11:36 GMT 2006

Hi Zack,

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:30:48PM +0100, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Monday 27 February 2006 00:21, Rob Buis wrote:
> >  We've now reached a state where we
> > actually need integration of at least ksvg & khtml to support fancy
> > things like CDF (ie. xhtml in svg or the other way round).
>
> Excellent. I think pretty much everything has been addressed here so let
> me just add comments about one particular point:
>
> > 5. Merge in a subset of kcanvas into khtml/rendering.
>
> Trolltech has a working copy of a new canvas (QGraphicsView) that will
> be a part of 4.2 release. It's pretty impressive and with its clear

That is great to know! I am sure there will be lots of interest for
such a canvas.

> model/view separation it would be rather simple to intergrate it. At
> this point I'm wondering what benefits does KCanvas offer that
> offloading maintaining of this chunk to Trolltech wouldn't offset.

My choice of words was a bit misleading, sorry.
What I meant was merging/integrating in the sense that Apple has chosen
to do, ie. take some canvas concepts such as rendering backend abstraction (for
example quartz for them, qt4 for us) and integrate it with the render objects. This
way they have RenderPath, RenderContainer, RenderSVGText, RenderSVGImage which uses right
now (kcanvas) KRenderingDevice and paint servers to do the actual painting (using the
backend mentioned above). Also the paint servers know about khtml RenderStyle, so this
canvas implementation is not generic anymore but tied to khtml. I hope this clears
up any confusion I caused :}
Cheers,

Rob.