RFC: KHTML "modular" build

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jul 17 18:44:57 BST 2006

On Monday 17 July 2006 18:14, you wrote:
> On 7/17/06, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Monday 17 July 2006 00:14, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> > > Attached is a patch to make khtml build in pieces. It breaks all the
> > > subdirs (but for ecma right now) into static libs and then uses those
> > > to build khtml. I wanted to ask you all whether you thought this was a
> > > good idea.. I mainly did it because I was sick of rebuilding all of
> > > khtml every time I made a small change in my soc project under
> > > ecma/debugger, but I have talked to people who think the A) longer
> > > link times B) reverting to autotools-like behavior here, are unwanted
> > > sideeffects of this change. Anyway, let me know what you all think.
> >
> > Convenience libs are not really supported by cmake, the conversion from
> > the libtool convenience libs to compile-all-in-one was done by purpose.
> > If you find a way to make this work portable with cmake on all supported
> > platforms I'd be very happy.
> > As it is now, changing this to static libs may break things on some
> > platforms. I strongly recommend not to change it to static libs except
> > you know very well what you are doing.
> > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Does_CMake_support_.22convenience.22_
> >libraries.3F
>
> Well I'm assuming by other platform you mean win32?

Linux, *BSD, OS X, Solaris, Win with MSVC, Win with mingw.
I also have "only" a Linux box and from time to time a FreeBSD box available.
From several discussions I can remember that there are several issues with
this.
Here are some links:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-buildsystem/2006-January/000467.html
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=111450424330628&w=2
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1790&pos=20

> Could you possibly
> test on win32? I don't have a box running it to test the build on. I
> mean if the only reason that this is going to be rejected is that it
> "might not work on the windows build" then it seems we might better
> spend our time trying to figure out how to make it work on windows?

So if you can find a way t do this reliably and in a portable way, I'm all for
it. But kde-core-devel at kde.org, kde-buildsystem at kde.org and cmake at cmake.org
are better lists to discuss this.

If so much is recompiled because you changed something in ecma/debugger/, then
there *is* probably a dependency why it really should be recompiled.
Maybe you can figure it out what it is ?

Bye
Alex