RFC: KHTML "modular" build

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 17:14:03 BST 2006

On 7/17/06, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 17 July 2006 00:14, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> > Attached is a patch to make khtml build in pieces. It breaks all the
> > subdirs (but for ecma right now) into static libs and then uses those
> > to build khtml. I wanted to ask you all whether you thought this was a
> > good idea.. I mainly did it because I was sick of rebuilding all of
> > khtml every time I made a small change in my soc project under
> > ecma/debugger, but I have talked to people who think the A) longer
> > link times B) reverting to autotools-like behavior here, are unwanted
> > sideeffects of this change. Anyway, let me know what you all think.
>
> Convenience libs are not really supported by cmake, the conversion from the
> libtool convenience libs to compile-all-in-one was done by purpose.
> If you find a way to make this work portable with cmake on all supported
> platforms I'd be very happy.
> As it is now, changing this to static libs may break things on some platforms.
> I strongly recommend not to change it to static libs except you know very
> well what you are doing.
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Does_CMake_support_.22convenience.22_libraries.3F

Well I'm assuming by other platform you mean win32? Could you possibly
test on win32? I don't have a box running it to test the build on. I
mean if the only reason that this is going to be rejected is that it
"might not work on the windows build" then it seems we might better
spend our time trying to figure out how to make it work on windows?

Matt