some comments on the konqy usability report

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Sun Jan 1 23:47:46 GMT 2006

On Sunday 01 January 2006 23:42, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Sunday 01 January 2006 15:09, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > -the functionality of the info list view should be merged into the other
> > list views, makes one view less. I'd really like the text view and the
> > detailed list view to stay. How about removing the tree view ? A
> > combination of the navigation side bar and the detailed list view is very
> > similar
>
> I think we could remove the Info List, Tree View, and Text View myself.  Or
> at least find a nice way to merge Detailed List and Text View.

I have read the report yesterday, but I did not have the impression the
tree view was so bad, in the test someone actually was happy with it, wasn't
it so? I'll have to have a second look. But I tend to use often the tree
view, and I would not be happy to see it go.

The Info list could be useful only when displaying directories containing a
uniform category of files. I have never found it really useful, and I would
not really miss it if it were removed completely.

The only difference I can find between the text view and the detailed view is
the presence of the icon. Did I miss anything? I'd say it's ok to retain one
of them only.

What about the Multicolumn view, since we are at it? Is anybody using it for
real?

> > -How about just keeping the icon view and the list view  and maybe one or
> > two more in the toplevel "View -> View mode" menu and introducing a
> > submenu "View -> View mode -> More View modes" for more obscure view
> > modes ? Could this be implemented via an option in the desktop file
> > describing the view part ?
>
> This sounds like an idea.

Another option would be to extend the "configure extensions" panel to deal
with konqueror view parts too. We could enable the two simpler views by
default, and let advanced users activate complex views, like the Cervisia
part and the Area box file size display.

> > -The gallery view is nice, but IMO only a workaround to the problem, that
> > currently it is not possible in konqueror to switch from an opened file
> > in konqueror to the next/previous file. If this would be possible, the
> > gallery view wouldn't be needed at all, it would work with the normal
> > image view, text view etc.
>
> Actually the gallery is nice in its own right, if only because it allows
> for quicker navigation.  One problem with it is that you can't right-click
> files to bring open the context menu for some reason.

I agree here. But this problem should not be hard to fix.

> BTW, I think some picture viewers, like Gwenview's, have a Next/Previous
> image button.
>
> > -The info in the tooltip: how about adding a view which shows this info
> > and which sits e.g. on the right side beside the icon view ? (i.e. a bit
> > like in the Mac OS X finder) ?
>
> Or like Windows Explorer (where it's on the left?) :)

I had the impression the metabar for KDE 3.5 implemented this, but it does
not. At least, it shows information on the current directory right now.

> I think there is something like that on kde-apps.org (called Metabar IIRC)
> then integrates into the Konqi sidebar.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro //