Kupu support in Konqueror?

Maks Orlovich maksim at kde.org
Mon Feb 13 23:17:46 GMT 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 15:25, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Montag, 13. Februar 2006 16:19 schrieb Maks Orlovich:
> > > Currently, Kupu does not work under Konqueror. As OpenUsability hosts a
> > > lot of KDE projects, and as many OpenUsability members use Konqueror,
> > > we would be very happy if Konqueror would support Kupu in the near
> > > future. Have there been any efforts so far?
> >
> > This is unlikely to happen any time soon, unless Leo comes back to
> > hacking. They use designMode stuff, which basically means you have to
> > implement the entire editor in the browser, so they can wrap it around
> > with a bit of a JavaScript UI.
>
> First of all, the bad news: I won't ever attempt to backport
> contenteditable/designmode from WebCore to KDE 3.x.

I am not sure why it's worth making the 3.x/4.0 distinctions, since the khtml
trees are virtually identical. But so I've guess you concluded that using the
Apple implementation would be time-efficient? It seems rather heavy-weight.

> Second, I'm wary of committing any time to khtml development unless it's
> sure that we don't ditch it for WebCore.

I don't think anyone can be sure about that. However, at this point it looks
unlikely, particularly given some highly tone-deaf recent mutilations done to
the khtml/ksvg2 sources in the Apple fork. And, certainly, your involvement
in KHTML development would make that option less attractive.

-Maks