open file and close konqueror

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 7 15:02:52 GMT 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 3:18, Markus Fischer wrote:
> The idea is to have the possibility to simultaneously close Konqueror while
> opening a file by pressing a special key (for example c) while clicking on
> the file. You avoid in this way to separately close the Konqueror window
> afterwards.

this of course comes at a cost, namely both code complexity as well as the
surprise a user would experience when they accidently stumble across such a
feature ("Where'd my file manager go?!"). i can also see "fun" edge cases
such as when the app fails to load: the file manager will be gone ... where
will the failure feedback come from? is having a file manager window around
really such a big deal?

that said, what might be neat is being able to open the filemanager, click on
a file and have the editor "take over" the file manager window completely
(load the appropriate kpart and give the window over to it completely). this
would remove the whole "multiple windows" issue and probably be a lot faster
than launching the app separately. this could be provided as an "Open File"
program that would embed the file manager (or be the file manager running in
a special mode?) ... this seems much more natural a concept than autoclosing
windows.

the downside is that it would only work with embedable components, kparts in
particular. or perhaps we could get -really- fugly and xembed the app if it
doesn't provide a kpart ;-P (yeah, i'm kidding.)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se